Monday 10 February 2014

Day 5, and the natives are getting restless

Sixteen year old son looking decidedly underwhelmed
Actually, one of the natives, aka my sixteen year old son, came to me while I was in the shower (no less) and reported that the crowd was rioting.  For some reason, my first thought was the winter Olympics.  So I asked him what crowd.

He told me there were, wait for it...... no bikkies in the cupboard, so nothing to eat for school.  He would have to settle for a vegemite sandwich.....again!

So basically, the crowd wasn't rioting as such, I prefer to think of them as revolting.

I pointed out that there was ample cold sliced meats and salad in the fridge for sandwiches, and that we weren't buying bikkies anymore, so get used to it.  Previously, our sweetest biscuit in the cupboard were McVites digestives, but 16 year old son was pretty fond of packing himself a handful of digestives, half a packet of rice crackers and a juice popper for his day at school.

I am lucky in that my three older children all want to make their own lunches for school.  That saves me a job, even though the kitchen does tend to look like a bomb hit it after they are finished.  A few years ago the 16 year old decided that he didn't like sandwiches, so his school lunches have been a bit ordinary ever since.  The other two pack a pretty good lunch. 
They started the year knowing that there would be no more juice poppers, drinks would have to be water only. I am still buying them bread, even though I don't eat bread myself.  The fridge is full of salad, cold meats and cheeses. There are also nuts and we are still making our way through a glut of mangoes. So they just have to think a little harder to come up with school friendly lunches and snacks. There is no way that there is 'no food'.  And there is no way that they will starve.  They just have to get used to less sugar and less refined carbohydrates. I am sure they will cope.

As for me.
Another ordinary night's sleep, I really hope that that improves soon. I don't think that it has anything to do with the change in eating as I have three things that are conspiring to keep me awake:
1. It's hot and humid
2. I have a breastfed baby who wakes at least once in the night, usually more like three or four times, and
3. There is an industrial machine that is running all night long, it has a very annoying vibrating hum, that is quite frankly driving me nuts.

I haven't poohed for two days.  Wonder when that when that will happen?  From explosive watery diarrhoea to nothing, weird.
Gums are still a bit dodgy too.

Today's menu
I was a bit decadent this morning and had the following for breakfast:
Chai seeds soaked overnight in coconut cream, vanilla and cinnamon.  These tasted very rich and naughty.  I was supposed to use coconut milk instead of cream I think, as instead of being porridge like it was quite solid.  I was thinking about rolling them into balls and coating them in cocoa or coconut and then being able to eat them as a snack.
Mango and fresh cream  ( I guess this is my limit of carbs for the day, but I've had three days on very low carb, and those mangoes need eating.  It's not every year we get a mango glut like this)
Snack:
Havarti cheese
Lunch:
Bacon and eggs and salsa
Havarti cheese

Dinner:
Chicken thigh in creamy garlic sauce with "zucchini noodles"
mushrooms and cauliflour

Snack:
coconut muesli and cream  - watching MKR makes me really hungry.  All those carbs in the pasta and dessert....yum.


Watched a promo for Cereal Killers today.  That guy ate 70% of his calories from fat.  I am really struggling to fat-ify my diet.  I have the mental block that I still think saturated fat will clog my arteries and I just don't find all that fat very palatable.  I still find myself discarding the fat off my meat and fatty chicken skin.  I am no where near being able to eat straight butter.  I do like the A2 cream and cheese however.

Exercise was mopping the floors in the house.

1 comment:

  1. I have just recently tried slices of butter with slices of brie cheese, and I liked it. That is definitely something I would not have been able to do when I first wrote this post. In the beginning I struggled to up my fat too much. I wasn't a huge fan of butter, still preferring the taste of margarine....I had spent the major portion of my like eating that industrial stuff, so I was kinda used to it....Also too much fat would get me in the guts and make me feel quite queasy.

    ReplyDelete