Friday 14 February 2014

Day 10 update

I am still in a state of disbelief about how much and how quickly the weight falls off by eating LCHF.  I keep jumping on the scales each day to see if they are lying about yesterday's weight and low and behold another kilo has disappeared.  Maybe I am dreaming, and I will wake up soon and discover it has all been in my imagination.

It does seem to be true however, fat does not make you fat.  Sugar and refined carbohydrates do.  And a calorie is not a calorie in the traditional sense, it is all to do with how your body metabolises its food.  Eating carbohydrates is like pouring fluid into a blocked up funnel.  Eventually you overload the funnel and the excess pours out (or get stored as fat in the analogy relating to our body) However your body in ketosis seems to be an incredibly efficient user of what goes into the funnel, there are no blockages, and excess energy requirements are taken out of your body's fat stores.  It just seems like a more sensible way to run your body, by not glugging it up and making it sluggish and slow.

I do have more energy now, but still feel I haven't quite hit my strides yet.

I am fairly sure that the less than pleasant taste in my mouth is the ketosis at work.  Some people test their urine with special strips from the pharmacy, but I am reasonably sure I can tell my body is in a keto state by the taste in my mouth.  Hope I don't have bad breath.  I haven't asked anyone yet if I do.  It also feels like a good hit of something lovely and sweet would sort that out too.  Yes I still feel like some lovely desserts, but it's not a bad craving, just a little bit tempting.

So the new measurements, let's compare:
The most dramatic change has been my weight.  In just 10 days:
At day 1 it was 79kg, 10 days later it is 73kg.  6 kilos or one stone in the old money in just ten days.  That is crazy, I've never experienced anything like it.  And this is coming from me who had a very severe gut bug where I barely ate and anything I did eat ran virtually straight through me.  I lost weight that time, but not that fast.

Ok waist measurement at the narrowest point is slightly less impressive, especially as this is the area where I am supposed to get a bit thinner.
At day 1 I was 92cm, 10 days later I am 90.5cm
My tummy that measured 98cm on day 1 is now 93.5cm which is a bit more impressive.
My hips are unchanged and are still 108cm.

Visually, I think that I look thinner in my arms and upper body, I don't think it is very noticeable around my middle at all.  I was going to post photos but I don't think with my ordinary photographic skills they will show much change from day 2.

Anyway, I still feel a bit dubious about my scales, my brain doesn't want to believe what my eyes see.  Perhaps if I drop below the magical 70kg mark I might finally believe.  Let's see what the new week brings.......

1 comment:

  1. I haven't hit below the magical 70kg mark. My weight seems to have stablised at about 72kg. The waist is still not at 80cm, but I have dropped a dress size and kept it off.

    ReplyDelete