Sunday 2 March 2014

Sweet dreams

 

I had a dream this morning about being surrounded by and eating a delicious variety of desserts. I was trying to only have a small piece of each, but I was determined to have a taste of all of them.  This dream reminds me of what can happen when you break an addiction, when you are close to kicking the habit you start to dream about it.......a lot.  It's like your sub conscious is trying to test you, or maybe your brain is just exercising some old pathways that haven't been used lately.  I didn't feel any guilt or sense of failure over eating the desserts, but I wasn't going nuts over them either.
I think it is a positive step in the right direction.

I do still feel like chocolate.....a lot. I am pretty keen on getting stuck into some over Easter. 
Remember that this experiment with this new way of eating was to last until Easter.  I would go off the diet for Easter, Sarah's birthday and Steve's birthday and then reassess whether I plunge back in and continue it through until December when the next round of parties and celebrations crank up.

Yes I feel like chocolate still.  But I have noticed that already my sweet detector is so much more sensitive now.  So maybe I will be hard pressed to find chocolate that is not too sweet.  I think 70% cocoa is about as unsweetened as I can find.  I will definitely be keeping my eye out for the least sweet chocolate that I can possibly find.

It's interesting that the rest of the family have not had the same effect on their taste buds.  As they haven't forsaken all of their sweet stuff they don't even notice that some of the foods I am picking as sweet have any sweetness in them at all. 
I made some carob yesterday. Technically it is a bit high in carbs, but I had half a packet of powder that was just out of date, so I wanted to use it up.  I simply mixed the powder with coconut oil and then spread it out very thinly on a piece of grease proof paper on a tray.  Then I popped it into the freezer to set.  It is quite yummy, though a bit sweet.  Carob has natural sweetness.  I am eating it (just to use it up) and telling myself that at least I am getting a dose of that good coconut oil for my trouble. :)

The other two things I noticed today is that I seem to have a bit more energy and my appetite has lessened.  This morning for breakfast I cooked bacon and eggs and I insisted that we all have 3 eggs with our bacon.  I added butter to the top of my eggs.  I found that I could not make my way through all of my breakfast.  I had to stop with half a rasher and most of my third egg to go.  I then did not feel hungry or need to eat until about 4.30pm and that was after I had spent a few hours digging in the garden!  At 4.30 I had a bit of watermelon and a piece of the carob I had made.  Then I was satisfied until dinner time which came at 8pm.  For dinner I had delicious calamari fried in garlic and salt and pepper, served with a big salad swimming in a dressing of lime juice, olive oil, sesame oil and fish sauce. Yum, yum, yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment