Monday 3 March 2014

I may have turned the corner

I came up with a couple of simple and delicious recipes today.  I have been looking for ways to increase my fat content in my diet in delicious ways.

The first idea I had was to pick some fresh herbs from my garden and mix it through cream cheese.  I spread this herbed cream cheese on my paleo pancakes and also used it as a dip with carrot sticks and slices of cucumber.

Herbed Cream cheese

To half a tub of cream cheese I added 1 heaped tablespoon of chopped fresh chives and 1 heaped
tablespoon of chopped fresh herbs ( a combination of basil, sage and oregano).
Mix together and pop into the fridge for a couple of hours so that the flavours can mingle.

Blueberry smoothie

The second recipe is even easier.  I felt like something sweet and I had not had my fruit for the day. So I grabbed a handful of frozen blueberries and whizzed them up with about 100ml of fresh cream.  It tasted delicious and decadent.  If I wanted it even more ice cream like I could make the same recipe in a larger lot and churn it in my ice cream maker. Easy, tasty and made with real ingredients. Yummo.

This got me thinking about other ways to enjoy cream cheese and cream.  I reckon a delicious cheese cake filling could be made with frozen blueberries, cream cheese and cream.  As I am breaking my sweetness addiction and getting back my sensitivity to sweet stuff, there is no need to add any more sweetness.  This is one advantage of going cold turkey on cutting out sweets and not replacing them with artificial sweeteners.  I suspect artificial sweeteners would just maintain your liking for really sweet stuff.

As the title says, I do feel a whole lot better this week.  I do feel like I have tackled the fatigue of the first few weeks and my body is settling into this new way of eating.  I think it has taken me three weeks for my digestive system to adapt.  I was close to questioning the continuance there for a while.  But I kept telling myself that a couple of weeks really isn't very long and I need to give it longer to truly assess its worth.  That's one reason why it has been handy to set my self a specific time limit in which to trial the diet.  Easter is my marker and now I am more than sure that I can make it to there.

Tomorrow is Ash Wednesday and as a Catholic I am required to fast and abstain from meat.  We are allowed one main meal and two small snacks. I will be interested to see how I go.  Today I didn't particularly get hungry for breakfast until quite late (around 11.30am). Then I ate lunch and breakfast quite close together.  As for lasting all the way to dinner time on only two snacks....hmmmm.  I think that I maybe having a very early dinner tomorrow night.  I am planning on heading to the fish coop and getting something nice and fishy, perhaps calamari or prawns.  I'll serve them with a big salad and I bet they will taste delicious.  For snacks, I guess it will be nuts and cheese.  Or maybe I should just eat slabs of butter.  I haven't quite made it to that level of fat in take yet!

If it's interesting I'll let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment