Saturday 5 April 2014

LCHF pikelets

This is a recipe I developed yesterday, but didn't get around to cooking and eating until today.  The mixture thickened considerably overnight. I needed to use up some dodgy sour cream and I remembered seeing a recipe somewhere on the web that uses sour cream and eggs to make pancakes.  Of course when I wanted to find it I couldn't.  I did find a similar one using cream cheese.  This is what I did:

LCHF pikelets

300ml sour cream
6 eggs
4 tablespoons psyllium husk.

Beat all ingredients together and fry in butter.  Put small dollops in a frying pan, cook until golden on one side and then flip.  They will be a little delicate, so flip with care. Fry until golden on the other side and then serve.  The mixture will initially be quite runny.  The longer you leave it the more it will thicken up.

I had both a savoury and a dessert version.  For the savoury version I made some homemade pesto and spread it on top of the pikelet along with avocado slices and tomato slices.

Pesto

Handful or two of basil leaves
tablespoon of grated Peccorino cheese
2 -3 garlic cloves
squeeze of lemon juice
splash of olive oil
2 tablespoons of pine nuts.

Roughly chop with a knife or mortar and pestle til it is at the consistency you like.  I like it chunky.  Just adjust the flavours to suit your palate.  I like mine pretty garlicky.  Fresh basil pesto is sublime.

The dessert version I had later in the day, so the pikelets were cold from having been in the fridge.
I had some chia pudding in the fridge already.....

Chia Pudding

To two tablespoons of Chia seeds add coconut milk, vanilla and cinnamon.  Leave to thicken in the fridge overnight.  How much coconut milk/cream depends on what variety you use.  Chia significantly increase in size.  My kids call them fish eggs.  You will need to experiment, but about a cup should be enough for two tablespoons of seeds.

To the Chia pudding I added whipped cream that had been flavoured with decaf coffee and vanilla, and ever so slightly sweetened with stevia.  The decaf coffee was brewed and I had it waiting in ice trays in the freezer for just such occasion.  Coffee flavoured whipped cream is also divine.  A gentle grate of dark chocolate into the coffee cream can also be an amazing addition.  I didn't do that tonight as I thought teaming it with the chai pudding would be good enough.

Savoury or sweet the sour cream pikelets were delicious and definitely a great LCHF recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment