Friday 24 February 2017

LCHF three years on

Wow, just read day one the weigh in from when I first tried LCHF.

Scary stuff.  I thought I was fat and needed to try something back then.  I weighed in at 79kg.

79kg, I wish.

Last week I weighed myself and came in at 92kg.  Yep. I knew I was carrying some excess weight, as my clothes are tight and I have had to consign many items of attire to the sin bin.  (one step before being turfed out the door to charity).

Ok what happened, what went wrong?

My guess is once you fall off the wagon with LCHF it punishes you- mercilessly.  You still tend to eat the higher fat part of the regime, but the excess carbs creep up and up over time.  Even though you might have lessened your carbs, you are still eating a lot.
With insulin and leptin resistance there is very little room for error. You seem to have to strictly adhere or suffer the dire consequences of rebound weight gain.

To lose weight there seems to have to be suffering involved.
1. Sickness
2. punishing exercise regime
3. starvation
4. manic self discipline to never let forbidden foods pass lips
5. strict adherence to an eating plan such as lchf that requires the pain of fat adaption.

All diets sell the dream that it is easy to follow their plan and that it is not so much a diet as a way of eating (WOE).  Yep woe pretty much sums it up.  Only true fanatics can follow and stay on the wagon long term.

The world is full of temptation and delicious food.  There is a never ending range of  celebrations, events or social occasions just waiting to trip you up.  Success can only be assured if you move to a Tibetan monastery and isolate yourself from civilisation for the remaining term of your natural life.

So what to do?
Keep getting fatter?  Or bite the bullet, get some self discipline and suffer for the name of weight loss?
Yummy food, eat what I want - get fat.
Restricted food, compromised social eating opportunities and possible weight loss for the short term, but not necessarily long term unless the self flagellation can be maintained.

How about complete suffering and just go for the intermittent or full on fast. God I love food.  I keep thinking fasting maybe the way to go, but I LOVE FOOD SO MUCH.
And I am lazy and tired. Bad combo for weight loss.

Think I might shove my head in the sand and ignore it all for a bit longer. Keep telling myself fat and happy is preferable to thin and miserable.

In the meantime I shall read back over my previous success and see if I can find some inspiration there.

No comments:

Post a Comment